Friday, June 15, 2007

OMG WTF VGM HAX

Tiny little pet peeve of a game music fan:

Dammit, people, stop crediting Yasunori Mitsuda for the Shadow Hearts soundtrack. It is not his brainchild, it is Yoshitaka Hirota's. Mitsuda did 10 tracks out of an entire 2-disc album, and they weren't the album's best ones either.

Oh, but he did Xenogears and Chrono Trigger, so we all have to fanwank over him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his work, but Shadow Hearts is not his work. It is equal in quality but vastly different in style, and to attribute it to Mitsuda is not at all fair to Hirota, who contributed some real creativity and ingenuity to make Shadow Hearts sound as good as it does and deserves to be appreciated for it.

I'm going to upload some samples from Xenogears and Shadow Hearts when I get home. You tell me if you think they sound anything alike.

EDIT: Okay, here they are.

The Yasunori Mitsuda sample, "Leftovers From the Dreams of the Strong," from Xenogears.

And the Yoshitaka Hirota sample, "Much Hatred Still Rankles," from Shadow Hearts.

You tell me: similar? I think not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home