Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Worm Nut

Had another listen to the new Therion album last night before I turned in.

Someone, I think an Amazon reviewer, once said that Therion albums rarely, if ever, grab you on the first listen and once they do they require several subsequent listens before you can truly appreciate their depth and complexity.

He's right. My first listen of "Gothic Kabbalah" was somewhat unimpressive and left me with a neither-here-nor-there attitude toward the album. Then, like I said, I gave it another spin last night.

Oh, wow. Holy frelling hezmana, Crichton, it's amazing. And that's before the aforementioned "several subsequent listens" that are required to truly appreciate a Therion release; the same several subsequent listens that led to "Secret of the Runes" redefining my outlook on metal.

Lady J, I think you'd dig this one. You mentioned being a fan of Blind Guardian before, and I know you're a fan of Nightwish, and there are a few subtle similarities to both. It's also not as heavy as some of their previous work (notably Deggial and Sirius B, though the former is intricately layered and deliciously complex to offset any discouragement one may draw from its slightly harsher tones) and features plenty of clean vocals. Gone are the death growls that occasionally popped up in Lemuria, and which were the mainstay of their pre-"Theli" work. Unfortunately, also gone are the clean male operatic vocals which decorated "Secret of the Runes" and "Vovin."

Journey, I think you'd like it too, owing primarily to the fact that while we've never really talked music in-depth, you seem to have an appreciation for anything that's interesting or out of the ordinary (our peculiar shared interest in Dido being a noteworthy, if bizarre, exception to the rule).

The only one whose level of interest I'm not sure I could declare is Searska. She seemed quite fond of Deggial (particularly Emerald Crown and Flesh of the Gods). If you're a fan of heavier sounds, GK might not be so much your cup o' tea, though you'd probably still get a small kick out of it.

Time to go, write more later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Searska said...

Well, when I see you Monday, burn a copy of that too. I'm always on the lookout for new music. I've just been so preoccupied lately, and it doesn't help that I had no paycheck until recently. But now, I have money to impulsively spend! Whoohoo!

~Searska

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jenny J. said...

Hmmm... I, too, would like a listen; I am most intrigued.

Are you free any evenings this week? I haven't seen you in forever, and you have my B5. In ransom, I offer... Irish music?

In completely random other news, today's word verification is ptuznf -- sounds like a Farscapian insult, no?

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home