Thursday, May 04, 2006

EhhhHHHHHHH

I'm racking my brain trying to think of what's going on that's worthy of mention.

Looking at computer parts, as I'm getting the builder's itch again. I have an old case just taking up space in my room, and I'd like to paint it cherry-red and maybe cut a window in the side. Build a somewhat decent box out of it.

I'm still eyeing up G5s on Apple's online education store. I can get one with a mid-range video card (desperately want that Quadro, but cannot justify $1400 for a single component when I'm still new to DV and haven't cut my teeth on 3D animation yet), wireless and bluetooth, quad-core CPU configuration, and a 3-year AppleCare warranty for about $3300 or so. Sweet compared to what I'd be shelling out without the educational discount.

I could always just build myself a box and run Linux (or Windows XP... ... ... ...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA...ahaha...ha...hahaha...oh, man...) on it, but that means no Final Cut Pro, and screw that. I definitely want OS X, and I definitely want Final Cut. Beyond that, as nice as the Intel-based Macs are, the fact that the "Core Duo" (most retarded proc name ever) is a 32-bit chip is the deal-breaker. Why they went from the 64-bit PowerPC 970 to the 32-bit Intel in the iMac is far beyond me. But seeing as how the G5 is the only Mac that offers 64-bit, is also dual-core, and is fully expandable (FULLY, you fucking Mac-bashers) with PCI-e and SATA...yo-ho, yo-ho a G5 it is for me.

Still thinking of building that box, though. Pricing out parts on NewEgg, I can put a decent one together (AMD Athlon64, 1GB PC3200, 128MB video) for ~$500. That should run Slackware or Kubuntu just fine. Plus I'd like to have my own custom-built box. Colin hasn't complained to me once about his, so I guess I did a really good job on it.

Speaking of the kid, happy 15th, dude! I'm glad you like the Pod. And remember, like the sticker says..."Don't steal music."

...
...
...
*snicker*

There's really not much else going on. Eh, I guess that's not really true-I did get a pack of DV tapes for my new camera and I'm itching to try it out. I'd like to get cracking on the show with Rendaw, I just need time. Luckily my class is finished this week, so I'll have a little more time than I do right now. I'm also working on a webcomic with one of my cow-orkers. We're backlogged a few strips, and I might opt to just go ahead and do a solo strip so we have something more to put up. Need to think of something suitably witty and off-the-wall.

If anyone has had any amusing conversations or brief exchanges and would like to see them comic-ified, do feel free to send them to me. To give you an idea of our style, see http://www.literarystigmata.com/comic.html

I may have already mentioned this, but in case I haven't, I'll say it again. If you haven't already, connect to my webserver and get the .zip of Kaizer's Orchestra that I have hosted on it. They are too cool. Really weird European rock with a catchy style and addictive beats. The lyrics are in Norwegian, and despite being unable to understand them, I find the sound of the language combined with KO's bobbing pitch pattern adds a certain quirky je ne sais quoi that makes their sound all the more compelling. Seriously, I can't recommend these guys enough. They're not metal, they're not jazz, they're not traditional rock, they're just...well, they're just Kaizer's Orchestra.

Lady J, you might think of them as a really, really energetic Mirrormask soundtrack. They remind me a bit of old Blur, back when Blur was doing weird-ass off-the-wall stuff instead of mindless noise (god damn you 13, and bring back Graham Coxon).

My favourites off of "Maestro" are KGB, Pa Ditt Skift, and especially Knekker Deg Til Sist.

Going into the city with Searska this weekend (Saturday), and then maybe getting together with Rendaw on Sunday, though I can't be out that late again.

I've now seen Silent Hill 3 times. MPAA-support dirty feelings notwithstanding, I can't get enough of it. It's just as good, if not better, each time I watch it.

Speaking of such things, Lady J, did you want to get together sometime this weekend and maybe catch a flick at the $2 seats or something? Haven't seen you for a while, and it sucks having to plot out social visits so carefully. Argh schedule.

One final thought: If I can't find room or use for the case I want to build into a computer, I'd be happy to take bids on it. Either from an aspiring builder who wants a cheap case or from someone who wants a full system after I put one together. Nothing yet, as I want to make sure it works first (Lady J's sister's system...*sigh*), but once I get it up and running I'd be happy to provide someone with a working box for whatever purpose. It'll be moderately powerful-I listed the specs above, and I'll probably throw a 160GB SATA disk in there and a DVD-RW, faceplate sprayed red to match the case.

Seems every time I write one of these when I can't think of anything going on, it turns out to be "War and Peace." Weird.

Anyway, have work, must do.

Quote of the Moment: "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." -Bilbo Baggins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home